[KineJapan] Hasumi X Barthes

Cook, Ryan M. ryan.cook at emory.edu
Fri Jan 8 21:06:05 EST 2016

This is a fascinating interview, and sheds some light on Hasumi's use of terms from Barthes in other contexts.  It's also interesting to see Barthes' reluctance to analyze Flaubert (though the comments he makes here are very interesting).  I noticed the last time I was in Kinokuniya that Hasumi's career-long study of Flaubert, extending back to his doctoral dissertation, has finally come out in an enormous volume.

Somewhere in my files I have a special issue, maybe of Umi, on Barthes with which Hasumi was heavily involved, if I recall.  I wonder if that issue is where this interview was published.  The translation doesn't give the full citation.

Ryan Cook

Assistant Professor, Film and Media Studies

Affiliated Faculty, East Asian Studies Program

Emory University

1602 Fishburne Dr. #107D
Atlanta, GA 30322
(404) 727-2666