[KineJapan] scripts/films based on novels

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Sun Jul 3 20:00:39 EDT 2016

Hi Markus,

Anne McKnight here! Indeed, there is an unholy amount of Annes around here, LOL.

thanks for the reply. I’m sure it would be a life’s work, and maybe a fools’ errand, to quantify and compare adaptation rates in national cinemas. But I’m often surprised that people rarely compare text and film, or refer to the novel (even read it?) in the case of many literary adaptations. Film studies ends up seeming more autonomous than it is, and I have to imagine that links with the print-industrial complex and publishing world also feed into decisions about what gets made, etc. Or that there is a feedback loop of some sort, even, such that print editors chase certain kinds of properties viewed as “film-able.”

Congrats on the book—I”ll order copies for the library ASAP! They’ll be good for class.

Anne