[KineJapan] Anime Next 100

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Sat Dec 30 21:36:54 EST 2017

Some of you might have seen a video made by the Association of Japanese Animations to commemorate 100 years of animation in Japan. It presents clips of 122 films in 15 minutes starting with Namakura Gatana from 1917. Some have noted the absence of Ghibli or Evangelion, which seems to due to rights problems, but I immediately noticed that they essentially skip over the 1930s and 1940s, especially wartime animation. I doubt that was due to rights issues. Was it a decision to overlook animation's role in supporting World War II? Or a general failure to recognize interwar history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-GV4XcJak

Aaron Gerow
Professor
Film and Media Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
320 York Street, Room 311
PO Box 208324
New Haven, CT 06520-8324