[KineJapan] Japanese films at Cannes

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Thu Apr 12 09:41:08 EDT 2018

Cannes announced its lineup.

I'm really happy to see Hamaguchi's film included. As with so many Japanese
films, he could have lopped off a chunk here or there, but it's a
fascinating film.

Also, Lee Chang-dong's film "Burning" is based on a Murakami Haruki short
story.

Markus

>From Variety:

"Cannes regular Kore-ede Hirokazu of Japan is back with Lily Franky as the
head of a family of small-time criminals in “Shoplifter.”

Japan’s other competition film comes from Ryusuke Hamaguchi, who is making
his Cannes debut with drama “Netemo Sametemo (Asako I & II)”. Hamaguchi has
been directing for over a decade and is best known for 2015’s “Happy Hour”
which collected script prizes at Locarno and the Asian Film Awards. The
film is a mystery drama about a woman who meets a man who resembles her
ex-boyfriend, but appears to have a different personality."
Cannes Selects Asia’s Most Anticipated Titles
*By* Patrick Frater <http://variety.com/author/patrick-frater/>
http://variety.com/2018/film/asia/cannes-picks-asia-most-anticipated-titles-1202751347/

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Screen Arts and Cultures, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Screen Arts and Cultures*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*