[KineJapan] Inquiry about archival research on silent films

eva knopf evajimknopf at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 06:16:55 EDT 2018

Dear KineJapan,
my name is Eva Knopf, I am a filmmaker and film scholar from Germany, based in Berlin.
For my new film project - a kind of experimental historiography - I am researching Japanese silent films.

Are any of you knowledgeable about this field and maybe willing to help me a little bit?

So far I know that Matsuda Film Productions and the National Film Archive have collected silent films but I am not yet in contact with anybody there.

I will, however, be in Tokyo and possibly other Japanese cities (wherever my research takes me) for a few weeks after July 1st.
Would anyone here be willing to meet with me or can point me towards other individuals, archives or institutions that preserve silent films or have knowledge about them?
Unfortunately, I do not speak or understand any Japanese.

Of course, I'd be happy to write more about myself or the project! Please ask, if you have any questions.
Thank you so much,I truly appreciate any help or idea,
Eva Knopf