[KineJapan] Bowing before Eastwood

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Fri Mar 9 09:01:41 EST 2018

Knowing a number of filmmakers who studied under Hasumi, I know about this love for Eastwood. It can be explained in part by a refusal to do ideological film analysis, by respect for a great one who can’t be criticized (like Hasumi himself), and by a very different view of American cinema than the one many American academics have. I once tried to discuss this with Aoyama Shinji around the time Lost in America came out in 2000.

Do remember that greats like Kurosawa Kiyoshi are fans of films most American academics have forgotten. I’m not just talking about Tobe Hooper, who was like God to Kurosawa-san, but directors like Richard Fleischer. When Kurosawa came to Yale, he talked at length and gave a precise analysis of a scene from Fleischer's Boston Strangler.

The Takeshi switch is interesting, but it won’t work because Takeshi is treated the same as Eastwood. I might have written a book on him, but I will admit Takeshi has made some bad films. But someone like Abe Kasho will never admit it.

Aaron Gerow