[KineJapan] Bowing before Eastwood

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Mon Mar 12 08:15:03 EDT 2018

As you say, Japanese directors often focus on decidedly non-mainstream figures, and films too. It's possible to find American directors and academics speaking positively about Hooper's Texas Chain Saw Massacre, or Salem's Lot and Poltergeist, but in Kurosawa's opinion Hooper's best films are Lifeforce (a Hammer tribute that's generally considered at best an amusing bit of fluff) and Spontaneous Combustion, a film that is usually only mentioned when describing just how bad Hooper's post-TCSM career has become. Finding westerners defending either of those works is virtually impossible.

Jim Harper.