[KineJapan] IMPORTANT: Moving KineJapan to new server

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Fri May 11 10:47:31 EDT 2018

Hello KineJapan subscribers,

As has been mentioned a number of times on the list, KineJapan is currently distributed via a Mailman server at Ohio State University. That has been our home for about 20 years, thanks to the generosity of Maureen Donovan, who was at OSU and one of the three original owners of the list. Maureen, however, recently retired, and without her at OSU, KineJapan is now housed at an institution where we don’t have any direct influence.

The plan has been to move the list to Yale, where I teach. The Kinema Club website is currently housed at Yale, so moving KineJapan there is only natural. I have talked with the IT people and they assure me that some of the problems we have had with this list—especially when some major servers started rejecting our mail and we had to switch the settings to KineJapan in the “From” line—should not happen at Yale. The logistics of the move are not simple, however, since we have about 20 years of list archives that need to be transferred as well.

It took a while, but the IT people at Yale have finally succeeded in transferring or duplicating the list archives to the Yale server. The archives are unfortunately not complete, since one of the problems we had with OSU is that they erased nearly all of the first 10 years of our archives when they moved the list to a new mail server within OSU. Luckily, Yale’s IT people have been able to resurrect most of that based on mails that I and others have saved, and also transfer what came after that to the Yale server. There are some portions missing, but it is now much more complete than the archives currently on the OSU site.

So now it’s time for the big announcement:

WE WILL BE MOVING THE KINEJAPAN LIST TO THE YALE SERVER ON JUNE 1, 2018

Since there are currently a lot of dead addresses on our list (the result again of about 20 years of running KineJapan), it will be best to clean everything out by manually switching subscriptions. In other words:

EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO CONTINUE ON KINEJAPAN NEEDS TO RE-SUBSCRIBE ON THE YALE SERVER

The server is active now, but in order to make a clean cut on the list and with the archives, the switchover will take place on June 1. You can subscribe on the Yale server now, but no posts will be allowed until June 1. Continue to use this list until May 31. (I will then ask Yale IT to transfer the May archive, which will complete the move.)

HOW TO RE-SUBSCRIBE:

First, go to:

In the section SUBSCRIBING TO KINEJAPAN, enter your e-mail address and your name. Also pick a password which will allow you to change your settings later.

Then just click “Subscribe”! It’s easy!

Forgive me in advance, but I will be sending versions of this announcement multiple times over the next few weeks to make sure people see it.

Hope this goes well!

Aaron Gerow
Yale University
KineJapan owner