[KineJapan] Book Announcement: Routledge Companion to Butoh Performance

Bruce Baird baird at umass.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:02:49 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

This is slightly afield of this list, but we have had over the course of the years a few threads about the cross-fertilization between butoh and cinema, so for your information, I am including this book launch information here.

Rosemary Candelario (Texas Woman's University) and I are proud to announce the publication of The Routledge Companion to Butoh Performance.

https://www.routledge.com/The-Routledge-Companion-to-Butoh-Performance/Baird-Candelario/p/book/9781138691094 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Routledge-Companion-to-Butoh-Performance/Baird-Candelario/p/book/9781138691094>

Intro + 56 chapters = 55 authors, 8 translators, 100 photos, 6 continents, 14 countries, 558 pages!

I hope you will all have your respective libraries order a copy.

One of the chapters, by Aaron Kerner, treats the nexus between cinema and butoh specifically.

And if I may be so bold, for those who feature a chapter about butoh in their Japanese theater surveys, the first half of our intro is your new go-to chapter.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce Baird
Associate Professor
East Asian Languages and Cultures
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Butô, Japanese Theater, Intellectual History

439 Herter Hall
161 Presidents Drive
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003-9312
Phone: 413-577-2117
Fax: 413-545-3178
baird at umass.edu

Recently released: The Routledge Companion to Butoh Performance

https://www.routledge.com/The-Routledge-Companion-to-Butoh-Performance/Baird-Candelario/p/book/9781138691094

Now out in paperback and e-book: Hijikata Tatsumi and Butoh

http://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9780230120402