[KineJapan] 100 years of Kinema Junpō

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Thu Jul 11 10:48:15 EDT 2019

The other amazing thing here is that a significant chunk of Kinejun has
been reprinted on paper. That’s really special. Totally different than
researching on microfilm, fiche or online databases.

Markus

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:38 PM Frederick Veith via KineJapan <
kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:

> Photoplay started publication in 1911 and lasted until 1980.
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:31 PM Gerow Aaron via KineJapan <
> kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:
>
>> It seems Box Office and American Cinematographer started in 1920, the
>> year after KineJun, though they might have been published continuously.
>> Hollywood Reporter appears to have started in 1930.
>>
>> I wouldn’t count either Variety or Billboard because neither reports
>> exclusively on film, and were not started for that reason.
>>
>> But I would be curious if any long running film magazines exist out
>> there, especially in languages other than English.
>>

>> Aaron Gerow
>> Professor
>> Film and Media Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
>> Chair, East Asian Languages and Literatures
>> Yale University
>> 143 Elm Street, Room 210
>> PO Box 208324
>> New Haven, CT 06520-8324
>> USA
>> Phone: 1-203-432-7082
>> Fax: 1-203-432-6729
>> e-mail: aaron.gerow at yale.edu
>> website: www.aarongerow.com

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*