[KineJapan] Dialectics without Synthesis

shota ogawa sogawa at nagoya-u.jp
Tue Sep 8 20:10:57 EDT 2020

Congratulations Naoki!
Thank you for the discount code. Can't wait to read it!

Shota

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 8:31 AM Thomas Ball via KineJapan <
kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:

> Thank you so much!
> Looking forward,
> Thomas
>

> On Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 7:07:33 PM EDT, Naoki Yamamoto via
> KineJapan <kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:
>

> Dear Thomas,
>
> Thanks for your interest! Attached below is an invitation to my talk. You
> have to have a Zoom account to join, but I hope it shouldn’t be a big
> burden under this pandemic moment.
>
> Look forward to seeing you there!
>
> Best,
> Naoki
>
> ----
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We hope everybody has had a great start of the new academic year.
> We are excited to announce that our new Modern Japanese Culture
> Webinar series will begin on September 18 at 5 PM EST with an inaugural
> talk by Naoki Yamamoto (Assistant Professor, Film and Media Studies, UC
> Santa Barbara).
>
> Naoki will give a presentation on his newly released book Dialectics
> without Synthesis: Japanese Film Theory and Realism in a Global Frame. As
> the book blurb informs us, "Dialectics without Synthesis explores Japan’s
> active but previously unrecognized participation in the global circulation
> of film theory during the first half of the twentieth century. Examining a
> variety of Japanese theorists working in the fields of film, literature,
> avant-garde art, Marxism, and philosophy, Naoki Yamamoto offers a new
> approach to cinematic realism as culturally conditioned articulations of
> the shifting relationship of film to the experience of modernity. In this
> study, long-held oppositions between realism and modernism, universalism
> and particularism, and most notably, the West and the non-West are
> challenged through a radical reconfiguration of the geopolitics of
> knowledge production and consumption."
>
> The talk will 45-minute long and will be followed by a 30-minute Q&A
> time. Those of you who would like to continue to discussion are invited to
> stay connected for another 30 minutes of informal conversation with the
> author.
>
> Here is the Zoom Meeting ID:
>
> Topic: Modern Japanese Culture Webinar
> Time: Sep 18, 2020 04:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
>
> Join Zoom Meeting
> https://northwestern.zoom.us/j/95294335035
>
> Meeting ID: 952 9433 5035
> One tap mobile
> +13126266799,,95294335035# US (Chicago)
> +19294362866,,95294335035# US (New York)
>
> Dial by your location
>         +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
>         +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
>         +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
>         +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
>         +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
>         +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
> Meeting ID: 952 9433 5035
> Find your local number: https://northwestern.zoom.us/u/acmNdFN189
>
> Join by SIP
> 95294335035 at zoomcrc.com
>
> Join by H.323
> [...]

__________________
Shota Ogawa 小川翔太
Graduate School of Letters
Nagoya University
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku
Nagoya 464-8601
T. 052-789-2252

Pronouns: he/him/his
Out now: Routledge Handbook of Japanese Cinema, edited by
<https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-Japanese-Cinema-1st-Edition/Bernardi-Ogawa/p/book/9781138685529>
Joanne Bernardi and Shota T. Ogawa
<https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-Japanese-Cinema-1st-Edition/Bernardi-Ogawa/p/book/9781138685529>