[KineJapan] Film fests of yore in Yurakucho/Hibiya

Gerow Aaron aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Mon Sep 21 17:18:34 EDT 2020

Great discussion!

I’m sure most know this, but it is good to remember that Kobayashi Ichizo and Toho were central in the development of the Yurakucho entertainment district, not only building the Takarazuka theater but even buying the Nichigeki soon after. Toho still has their corporate offices there. Before the recent redevelopment, it had a Godzilla statue in the square and hand prints of movie stars. Before the war, Furukawa Roppa’s revue performed in Yurakucho, and he was conscious of his salaryman audience (I wrote about that in my piece on Japanese musicals).

Aaron Gerow
Professor
Film and Media Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Chair, East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
143 Elm Street, Room 210
PO Box 208324
New Haven, CT 06520-8324