[KineJapan] Online Benshi Performance

Zahlten, Alexander azahlten at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 11 09:04:19 EST 2021

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully everyone is ok as the challenges continue. I just wanted to point out one of the good things that have come out of the zoom world we are now all caught up in.

Last week Ichiro Kataoka gave an absolutely fantastic benshi performance for my class via zoom. I was a bit worried about how it would turn out, considering the limits the medium imposes. But the tech worked fine, and Kataoka-san was amazing, and the students were completely taken by it. It brought a much-needed sense of liveness and “being there” to the virtual classroom.

I just wanted to point out that others can do this as well- the good thing is that Kataoka-san can come to anyone’s campus / institution very easily in these circumstances. Hopefully we can invite him in person again soon, but I really recommend taking advantage of this opportunity (it’s also cheaper than inviting him in person, of course).

If you’re interested in getting in touch with him to explore the possibility you can write to him at: ichirobenshi at gmail.com<mailto:ichirobenshi at gmail.com>

Best wishes, take care-
Alex

……………………
Alexander Zahlten
Professor of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
Harvard University
Director of Graduate Studies, Regional Studies East Asia
(He / him / his)