[KineJapan] 21st Century Japanese Films Streaming in US

William C. Thompson wct1 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 10 16:21:36 EST 2021

Michael and All,

The Japan Society series passes were only available until the beginning of
the series.  As you can see, this is a diverse, solid series of 21st
century offerings. In addition to what Kazu wrote, note that a significant
number of films helmed by women directors are included. The Japan Society
is also screening Naomi Kawase's *True Mothers*, Japan's nominee for Best
Foreign Film Oscar*,* as part of its Virtual Screenings thru Feb. 25th:

https://www.japansociety.org/event/true-mothers

Start with the Japan Society series.  But here are a couple of additional
screening opportunities for those of us in the US:

MoMA (Museum of Modern Art in New York) is screening a program of short
1960's experimental works via a program entitled "Japanese Expanded Cinema:
An Online Finale", which runs from Feb/ 11th thru the 25th.  This is a free
program, but admission is restricted to MoMA members only:

https://www.moma.org/calendar/film/5286

JICC, the Japan Information and Cultural Center of the Japanese Embassy in
Washington, has presented films online over the past several months as
well, many tending to be more commercial.  With Valentine's Day
forthcoming, this weekend it is presenting  *Little Nights, Little Dreams*,
a pleasant romcom.  Pre-registration is necessary.

https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/jicc/events/little-nights-little-love.html

There must be a number of other online viewing opportunities available for
us.  Maybe others can post forthcoming screenings as well.

Bill Thompson
wct1 at columbia.edu