[KineJapan] Helen Macnaughtan / Witches of the Orient, 2021, Julien Faraut

Asian Docs matteo.boscarol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 03:45:26 EDT 2021

Dear all,

Just as a side note, the footage used in *Witches of the Orient* is from 挑戦
Challenge (1963), a short documentary directed by Shibuya Nobuko. The short
was awarded at Cannes in 1964, and Shibuya, among other things, ended up
contributing to Ichikawa's Tokyo Olympiad.
Shibuya was a script supervisor, filmmaker, and video reporter. Born in
Dalian in 1932, she moved to Japan only after the war. As a script
supervisor she worked for Dokuritsu Pro with Imai Tadashi, Shindō Kaneto,
and Yamamoto Satsuo and in the next decades, Shibuya also made
documentaries for TV, and as far as I know, worked as an editor for some
non-fiction films directed by others (Iizuka Toshio, for instance). She
passed away in 2016. On youtube, there's a channel dedicated to her works.

Regards

mb