[KineJapan] Tokugawa Musei

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 07:14:08 EDT 2021

Dear KineJapaners,

I’m writing to ask whether anyone has done work on Tokugawa Musei, orknows where his archives are.

I am interested in what he did in his trips to the UK,and, in particular, in 1937. I see from a newspaper cutting that he was on theship with Prince and Princess Chichibu, bound for the coronation of King GeorgeVI, traveling via Canadaand New York.

My quest, still, is to try and nail down any history of the Kaguyaprint in the UK.I have a provenance without a surviving print – the one sent to the JapanSociety in Nov>Dec ’36 and kept in London, but lost films are not, alas, news – and the secondone sent in early ’37, which is the one that survives (from the Imperialcensorship stamp). My best guess, still, is that it was on that ship.

María José has kindly looked at his published reminiscences but they havenot revealed anything relevant.

I’ve already tried all the Royal Archives and the Imperial HouseholdAgency. Even if I can’t connect the print to Tokugawa, I’d still like to knowsomething of what he did in the UK.  He has no mention in the ten volumes of Britainand Japan – Biographical Portraits.

Roger