[KineJapan] Il Cinema Ritrovato with Kinugasa

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 04:34:24 EDT 2023

Dear KineJapaners,

I thought I’d just mention Il Cinema Ritrovato for 2023, whosefull programme is now up https://festival.ilcinemaritrovato.it/en/programma/

I haven’t yet had time to go fully though it, as I’m deep into NipponConnection here in Frankfurt but the Japanese directorfeatured this year is KINUGASA Teinosuke.

Whilst not being a large retrospective, it has two post-war films I havenot seen, and a 14-minute fragment from the 1927 Oni Izami, recentlyrecovered from the Jugoslovenska Kinoteka.

Kurutta Ichipeiji has become rather common as a backdrop toexperimental musicians, often at absurd speeds, down to some 50 minutes. But Isee this is billed at 79 minutes, a full 8 minutes longer than any screening Ihave seen, from a new NFAJ restoration. No doubt, Tomita Mika of NFAJ will betelling us more before the screening.

Roger