[KineJapan] Sion Sono invited to Poland

Nina Pięk nina.piek96 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 02:49:47 EDT 2023

Hello everyone,

my name is Nina and I am a Japanese film enthusiast from Poland.

I am writing to you with regards to Sion Sono's retrospective that is going
to happen at the InlanDimensions International Arts Festival in Warsaw's
Muranow cinema (02.10-08.10.2023). What is more, Sono will be the main
guest at this event.

Facebook page of the festival <https://www.facebook.com/Inlandimensions>
Webpage of the festival <https://inlandimensions.com/2023/pl/>

I am very concerned that it is happening one year after the accusations
were published. When the organizers were asked why he was invited despite
the accusations they replied that those were basically made up. You can
check their statement in the comments of this post
<https://www.facebook.com/Inlandimensions/posts/pfbid02w5QVjWLpWSDeCgrSaKzNn6vLiXNkk9wFJ4rVXT8FADrzG5rNdaHtFuZBiNKphyQ2l>(It's
in Polish but you can use google translate). I am aware that Sono is not in
trial but it doesn't sit right with me that one year after accusations
about him were published and no conclusive explanation he is being
celebrated at a Festival as if nothing happened.

Unfortunately it seems that the information about accusations did not reach
the Polish public and in general it seems that the information about it is
not easy to come by if you don't speak Japanese or don't know people from
the industry. For that reason almost no one is speaking against his visit
to Poland.

I am wondering what do you think about it? Would it be possible to issue a
statement from people in the Japanese film industry/film scholars to show
Polish people that there are actual people affected by this and the
accusations are not mere fabrications to incriminate Sono?

Looking forward to your insights regarding this topic.

Best regards,
Nina Piek