[KineJapan] Sion Sono invited to Poland

Tom Mes tom at midnighteye.com
Sat Sep 23 01:14:37 EDT 2023

Further developments around this Polish festival that invited Sono:
A third Japanese act that was scheduled to appear, the band Kukangendai,
is no longer listed as a guest on the festival's website.

Also gone are the names and logos of Bunkacho and the Toshiba
International Foundation, which had been listed as sponsors until
recently. This blows a hole in a previous statement made by the festival
in defense of inviting Sono, which was that his appearance was organised
with public funding.

Sadly, listed among the festival's media partners is the website Asian
Movie Pulse, which less than two weeks ago ran a publicity post for the
festival that includes quotes from Sono but completely ignores any of
the accusations against him:
https://asianmoviepulse.com/2023/09/inlandimensions-international-arts-festival-unveils-2023-programme/

I’d add to Markus's words that the festival’s invitation to Sono is more
than unfortunate - it’s downright callous. Around the time the festival
first announced this, its organizer was posting drunk photos of himself
with Sono on Facebook. Looking at the festival website, under “Team”,
the only person listed is this organizer.

A follow-up article with accusation against Sono was published in April
this year, in another tabloid weekly,
Flash:https://smart-flash.jp/entame/232420/1/1/
This garnered no attention outside Japan, and I don't believe it was
mentioned on Kinejapan, but it notes that not only have there been
multiple victims and accusations, but that Sono’s behaviour was a
conscious pattern.

Tom