[KineJapan] Sion Sono invited to Poland

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Sat Sep 23 01:53:49 EDT 2023

Tom Mes via KineJapan <kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:

> Sadly, listed among the festival's media partners is the website Asian
> Movie Pulse, which less than two weeks ago ran a publicity post for the
> festival that includes quotes from Sono but completely ignores any of
> the accusations against him:
>
> https://asianmoviepulse.com/2023/09/inlandimensions-international-arts-festival-unveils-2023-programme/
>
> It does have a rather creepy quote:

“If I had seen Shūji Terayama’s film *Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the
Streets!* earlier, I would probably have had more courage to lay my hand on
my girlfriend’s knee in the dark of the cinema that time and tell her I
loved her. Then again, perhaps my life would have turned out differently
and I might never have become a film director,” Sono confesses. In his
works, love is multidimensional, boundless, and uncompromising; it can be
avowed by a teenage girl in school uniform, reflected in Christian
iconography, or played out in sado-masochistic practices and fantasies.