[KineJapan] Bleach Bypass/Desaturated Color in 1950s Japanese Cinema

William Carroll williamjamescarroll at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 16:28:11 EDT 2024

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine who is working on a project about bleach bypass and other
similar color development processes that result in desaturated colors in
global cinema. One film he's been looking at is Ichikawa Kon's *Her
Brother/Ototo*, and came across the term "ginnokoshi" ("leaving silver").
This isn't a phenomenon or term I've encountered looking at color in
Nikkatsu films from that time period, but I was wondering if anyone was
familiar with any desaturated color techniques being used in Japan in the
1950s and 1960s, or if there are any other prominent examples of people
using them.

Thanks,
Will