[KineJapan] Bleach Bypass/Desaturated Color in 1950s Japanese Cinema

Kyle Barrowman barrowmankyle at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 17:15:01 EDT 2024

Hello, all. I have never responded to an e-mail here, so I am hoping that
this actually goes through correctly. I am currently editing an entry in
the EUP "ReFocus" series on Ichikawa and Daisuke Miyao is writing a chapter
on Ichikawa's work with Kazuo Miyagawa generally and their work on *Her
Brother *specifically. He would definitely be a good person to reach out to
about this (if he does not see this and respond himself). For a quick
answer, I do not know of this being utilized as early as the '50s or '60s
beyond *Her Brother*. If it helps, though, Ichikawa would do something
similar for his 1981 film *Lonely Heart*/*Kōfuku*, at which point he was
working with Kiyoshi Hasegawa. Kiyoshi Kurosawa also used it for his 2001
film *Pulse*/*Kairo*. And then there are tons of Hollywood films that have
used it since the 1980s. But again, Daisuke is the man your friend should
contact.

I hope that this helps.

Best,

Kyle