[KineJapan] Stills from Tōhō

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Wed May 8 22:54:24 EDT 2024

In the old days, Kawakita was the source for stills and it seemed most books on Japanese film got their stills from them. I think they were a lot more lenient then, basically given people stills and letting them publish them, but in recent years they are mostly just providing the images and insisting that you still need to get permission from the copyright owner if the image is not public domain (that’s what they said to me with one of my books). Perhaps they can serve as an intermediary, but just because they provided you with a still does not mean they’ve given you permission to use it.