CHEMICAL COMPOUND CONTEST

Tatoosh tatoosh at spiritone.com
Thu Apr 17 22:19:40 EDT 1997

Hope all is well.

Is everyone enjoying the outdoors?  If the weather gets dreary and you
want a challege, try this question....

CLUE...  Butterflies are associated with it.....

I will be paying $1000 towards the best answers.  This is no game.
There are three ways to win.  I want to know what you think...  I am
trying to find out how many people know this plant.

Correct answer could earn you	$500 	(if your email address is drawn
among correct entries)

	If no correct answer is submitted -
		The $500 will go to the American Heart Association

Funniest answer could earn you	$250 	(even if your answer is wrong)

Good research could earn you	$250 	(if your name is drawn among those
that have researched the compounds and know the use.)

Based on the Taxon Chemical Table, what would you do with it?

Would you digest it, rub it on your body, shampoo with it, burn it,
or......?

Taxon Chemicals Table (Source hidden for research purposes)

Chemical				Amount(ppm)	Low(ppm)	High(ppm)

9,12-HEXADECADIENOIC-ACID				1,820		6,360
9-HEXADECENOIC-ACID					9,100		31,800
11-OCTADECENOIC-ACID					13,650		47,700
ALPHA-AMYRIN
ASCLEPIADIN
ASH					12,300
ASH							37,000		42,000
BETA-AMYRIN
BETA-AMYRIN-ACETATE
BETA-SITOSTEROL
CAOUTCHOUC						1,000		15,000
CAOUTCHOUC				16,000
CINNAMIC-ACID
CINNAMIC-ACID-CARDENOLIDE-ESTER
CONDURANGIN
CYMAROSE
DESGLUCOUZARIN
FAT							91,000		318,000
GLUCOSE
LINOLEIC-ACID						48,230		168,540
LINOLENIC-ACID						910		3,180
NICOTINE
OLEIC-ACID						13,650		47,700
PALMITIC-ACID						3,640		12,720
POLYPHENOLS				72,000
PROTEIN							176,000		372,000
RHAMNOSE
SYRIOBIOSIDE
SYRIOGENIN
TANNIN
UZARIGENIN
XYSMALOGENIN

NAME		Hidden
CLASS		Hydrolases
		Acting on peptide bonds (peptidases)
		Cysteine endopeptidases

REACTION    Hydrolysis of proteins with broad specificity for peptide
bonds, with preference for a residue bearing a large hydrophobic
sidechain at the P2 position. Does not accept Val at P1'.

SUBSTRATE	Protein
		Peptide
		H2O

PRODUCT 	Protein
		Peptide

DBLINKS     	University of Geneva ENZYME DATA BANK:		Hidden
		WIT (What Is There) Metabolic Reconstruction:	Hidden

Email your submission to: hans7 at i-link-2.net

If you don't think you have the answer, please forward this to those who
understand chemistry.

Thanks

Hans