Etymology

John V. Calhoun bretcal at gte.net
Thu Jul 3 18:33:14 EDT 1997

Michael Gochfeld wrote:
>   Why should some
skippers be named after American Indian chiefs while others (duskywings)
> were named after Classical figures?  Was there an historical conspiracy
> or were taxonomists merely enjoying themselves?
>
> Mike Gochfeld

I think I may be able to shed some light on this.  If you check out the
periods during which these skippers were described, you will see that
the species named for classical figures were largely decribed much
earlier than those named in honor of Native Americans (late 18th - early
19th centuries).  Moreover, the classical names were coined by European
researchers (eg. Boisduval, Fabricius, Linnaeus, and J. E. Smith) while
the Native American names were utilized by American lepidopterists (eg.
W. H. Edwards, Scudder, Harris, and Skinner) during the late 19th
century when much of North America was being opened up to expansion and
colonization.  Many of the Native American chiefs now recognized in the
names of various North American skippers were spashed across US
newspapers during this period and stories of these chiefs were
undoubtedly very popular.  Imparting the names of chiefs on new species
was probably a way in which lepidopterists chose to honor those
courageous leaders during a time when they faced a doomed future.

Best,
John