PLEASE VOTE ON THIS ISSUE

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Wed Jun 11 09:27:05 EDT 1997

> From: Kevin J.Caley

> I agree with this - the release of butterflies (or moths, or any other
> insect) should be discouraged unless there is a good Conservation-based
> case for this; and this includes such background work as making sure
> that the site is right for RE-INTRODUCTION.  Introductions of organisms
> into an area where they have never been found in historical times should
> always be discouraged, again unless there is good conservation-based
> backing to do otherwise.  I am also someone who is against the
> collection of organisms for personal study and am an advocate of the
> production of solid keys (pictorial or otherwise) which allow the
> identification of an organism without killing it in the process (not a
> good conservation practice at the best of times!)

So basically, you're against any human meddling with organisms that might
result in decreased populations.

Just curious, though...  How do you justify your consumption of living
organisms, or your purchase of products that are either made from
organisms, or are produced on cleared land once occupied by living
organisms?  Not to revive our most lovable debate, but why are you so
absolute in your opinion against the collection of organisms for study (or
personal gratification)?  Be careful not to apply a double standard - if
the collecting can be done in a "conservation-based" awareness, than why
rule against it?  If a particular population can not withstand a
"collecting" or "hunting" policy, than surely it should be prevented.  But
our world is not so depraved as to justify an all out ban on hunting any
organism.  Granted, species like the African Elephant deserve more careful
consideration than what is currently being proposed, but I for one do not
have a problem with the collection of unthreatened Hexapods and feel it can
still be encouraged - as long as it is done with this so-called
"conservation-based" awareness.

Mark Walker