Taking a net from U.S. to Canada

Julie K. Stahlhut en269 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Thu Jun 26 21:50:03 EDT 1997

My husband and I will be going on a camping trip into several provincial
parks in Ontario.  I don't collect insects unless I have a specific
research question in mind, so I don't plan to kill anything, nor do
I intend to transport insects across the border (I'm not going to
carry any killing jars or rearing cages with me).

I do like to carry a professional-quality aerial net, and a small
plastic observation cage or two, to do some catch-and-release insect
watching.  Will I have any problem taking this equipment across
the border if I don't have collecting permits?  Also, is there any
uniform policy on this kind of thing in Canadian provincial and
national parks?

We'll be leaving in about 5 weeks, and will be driving around parts of
the eastern U.S. before crossing the border.  If there's going to be
any problem, I'd like to know before packing my net in the first
place (I'm kind of protective of it -- don't want it confiscated!)
It's also kind of difficult to make it inconspicuous in our car.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Julie K. Stahlhut, Portable Curmudgeoness    julie.stahlhut at wmich.edu
 "Ever since he took up sex, I never see him."
               -- Attributed to Mrs. Kinsey

More information about the Leps-l mailing list