Butterfly Info. Request

Pierre A Plauzoles ae779 at lafn.org
Sat Jun 28 03:03:32 EDT 1997

In a previous article, pearl127 at aol.com (PEARL12 7) says:

>I am a beginner "Butterfly Enthusiast." Have been experimenting with
>hatching Black Swallowtails as I have an abundance of the caterpillars
>every year on my parsley growing outside. I have the following question:
>
>After butterfly hatches, what is the least harmful way to transport
>butterfly from house to ouside?  I have read one can place their finger by
>newly hatched butterfly and it will walk up your finger, then you can
>transport (on finger) to outside,and place on flower to allow it's wings
>to dry in sun.

Yes, this is the prefered manner of handling **BUT** the butterfly must
dry its wings first.  It will climb to a high spot where it can hang to
dry its wings and warm up.  I think most lepidoptera (both butterflies
and moths) will do this.  It has been my experience with everything from
sphinx moths (Sphingidae) and giant silkmoths (Saturniidae) to nymphalids
such as the mourning cloak and the buckeye, although some will just hang
on the spent pupal shell from which they have just emerged (I have had gulf
fritllaries and cabbage butterflies do this fairly often regardless of
the availability of a higher - and readily accessible - perch).
Pierre Plauzoles   ae779 at lafn.org
Canoga Park, California