Clostera apicalis and inclusa

Anthony Thomas athomas at fcmr.forestry.ca
Mon May 5 07:38:02 EDT 1997

At 11:44 PM 5/3/97 GMT, Gary Anweiler wrote:

>Can anyone provide me with a simple, foolproof way to separate the two
>Notodontid moths Clostera inclusa and Clostera apicalis from each other,
>in particular when there are no specimens available for comparison ??

	There are excellent coloured photo's of both species in Laplante, J.-P.
1985. Papillons et chenilles du Quebec et de l'est du Canada. The two
species look completely different, however, the apicalis photo's are males,
the single inclusa one is a female.
	Covell gives a B&W photo of inclusa stating that it is common, especially
northward. Up here in NE Canada I have yet to see inclusa, so far only
apicalis (+ others in the genus).
Hope this helps,
Tony

Dr. A.W. Thomas
Canadian Forest Service-Atlantic Forestry Centre
Natural Resources Canada
P.O. Box 4000
Fredericton
New Brunswick