Early UK moths

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Tue May 6 08:10:19 EDT 1997

Andrew Wood wrote:

> I thought it might be interesting to compare data ...
>
> Moths, too, continue to appear early e.g. ... Lime Hawk Moth (Mimas tiliae)(1 May),....

Mimas tiliae is, in my experience, always the first Sphingid to show in
the U.K., with a typical year yielding sightings from mid April until
the end of June.  That the BENHS field meeting produced three species »
is « unusual, even for such a good site as Warburg (where I've trapped
at the end of May, only seeing two or three Sphingid spp., but six or
seven by early June).

Roger.
Roger C. KENDRICK
PhD student & Demonstrator, Dept of Ecology & Biodiversity
The University of Hong Kong
fax: (852) 24885285
e-mail: kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

mail: Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre
      The University of Hong Kong
      Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong,
      Yuen Long, New Territories
      Hong Kong