Garlic Mustard in the U.S.A.

Shueyi at aol.com Shueyi at aol.com
Sat May 10 01:59:18 EDT 1997

<<
 Is the Garlic Mustard referred to in recent postings about local USA
extinctions
 the same Garlic Mustard that is found in the U.K. and Europe (i.e. Alliaria
 petiolata)?  And is it a recent accidental import into the USA?  If so, how
 recent?

Yes, this is the European mustard.  I have no idea how long it has been in
North America, but long enough to become an aggressive herbaceous dominant in
mesic forests thoughout the eastern US.  Most peaple here worry about it
because is can completely shade-out native spring wildflowers.  It has the
capacity to completly alter our native forests here

John Shuey