UK sightings

(Martin Honey) mrh at nhm.ac.uk
Sat May 10 09:08:31 EDT 1997

Continuing the thread of early UK sightings (despite the recent downturn in
the weather).

Yesterday evening (Friday 9 May), arriving home from work at about 5.45pm
I was surprised to find a fresh looking male Small Dusty Wave, Idaea
seriata (Schrank) (Geometridae), sitting on my front door. Apart from
South's reference to reared specimens emerging in April all the books give
mid to late June or July as the earliest dates for the flight period of
this species in Britain so again, more than a month early.

Having just returned from Mallorca I will restart moth trapping next week
here, in the grounds of the Natural History Museum, London, so will
anticipate some more early records from the Museum's Wildlife Garden.

Martin

ps. For anyone that's interested, while I was on Mallorca I did some moth
recording and a small amount of collecting for identification purposes,
with the necessary permit, as I am in the (somewhat lenghthy) process of
producing an updated checklist for the Balerics. If you, or anyone you
know, has Lepidoptera records from any of the islands I would be pleased to
hear from them.

Martin R. Honey, Reasearch Entomologist, Linnaean Butterfly Project,
Biodiversity Division, Department of Entomology, The Natural
History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON, SW7 5BD, Great Britain.
TELEPHONE: 0171 938 8745    International  +44 171 938 8745
FAX:       0171 938 8937    International  +44 171 938 8937
EMAIL:     M.Honey at nhm.ac.uk