Monarchs in N.W.

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Wed May 21 08:14:41 EDT 1997

Wanda Dameron wrote:

> According to Christiansian, "Field Guide to Butterflies of the
> Pacific Northwest," Monarchs --"though uncommon in the northwest,
> it has been collected as far north as Vancouver Island and the
> Okanagan Highlands of British Columbia."  A friend on Vashon
> Island (just outside Seattle) had one in her yard a year or so
> ago.
>
> As for competing for nectar sources, that seems pretty weak
> argument.

Competing for larval food sources might be a problem, as Pavulaan
describes it. Are the rest of you experiencing a shortage of larval food
plants? Are the plaants overwhelmed in the wild?
> More importantly:
> 1.  How pervasive is disease in captive-reared bugs?

> 2.  What does the introduction of perhaps non-local Monarchs
> do to the genetics of possible interbreeding?
>
> I believe Bob Pyle, after last falls trip of following western
> migrating Monarchs south, made a comment in a recent NABA note
> about there being differences in the races.  Where are you Bob
> when we need you?http://www.dejanews.com/

Bob is finishing his book on Monarchs and is temporarily off the leps
list. I've forwarded the correspondence to him.
You can find his comments in the archives, or access them by using Deja
News http://www.dejanews.com/
Let's not make the poor guy go through all that again.
> Bob Flanders <bflanders at APHIS.USDA.GOV> has asked for our input on this
matter. It would be a good idea to write to him, whatever your opinion.
By all means plant milkweed everywhere, but don't neglect the other
bugs. We need to plant to attract wildlife everywhere, and build
people's tolerance for the "mess" they require.
I just helped the workers at Coconut Creek city hall plan their
butterfly garden. It's going to be wonderful.
This Saturday, we'll be replacing a huge lawn at Home Safe, a shelter
for abused children in Lake Worth, with butterfly plants and other
natives. You're all invited; Nine a.m.; Publix is catering.
Many local nurseries, the Audubon society, Sierra Club etc. are helping,
and the Cooperative Extension Service is promoting it as a Master
Gardener project. Y'all come. Bring tools and butterfly plants;
wetland-highground.
It is possible to help bugs (and kids) without destroying other people's
projects. Hans Schnauber's plan to plant and maintain wildflower meadows
along the highways was a fine one. I had hoped he would stick with that,
and abandon the nationwide release he had envisioned.
	Perhaps he can still be persuaded to rethink his plan.
Anne Kilmer
1424 lake Bass Dr.
Lake Worth FL 33461