Lysandra coridon x L. bellargus

Pierre Zagatti Pierre.Zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Fri May 30 07:22:02 EDT 1997

In article <300597044715000C.Nick.Bowles at emarkt.com>,
Nick.Bowles at emarkt.com says:

>A report of L. coridon (male) Chalkhill Blue, flying with L. bellargus
Adonis
> Blue; on 14 .5.97 is highly unusual.
>
>Normally L. coridon flies in July/August in the UK and the rest of
Europe.  L.
> bellargus flies in May and again in August; so the two fly together in
late
> summer.
>
>It has been suggested that this early specimen was actually a hybrid
between the
> two closely related species.
>
>Does anyone have any knowledge of the probability that such a pairing
could
> produce viable offspring in the wild?
>Are there other examples of equally early Chalkhill (L. coridon) from
anywhere
> else?
>Are there records of breeders managing to artificially pair the species
and then
> rear the progeny?
>

>Nick Bowles    94 Miswell Lane
> Tring, Herts.  HP23 4EX  UK
>    tel     +44 (0) 1442 824 407
>
>--

According to my colleague B. Lalanne-Cassou, natural hybrids
between coridon and bellargus are common in populations from
southern French and Italian Alps. Hybrids may exist in Spain
between coridon and hispana (although difficult to identify).

I guess that nobody really studied the fertility of the offspring.

Pierre Zagatti
INRA Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
78026 Versailles Cedex
France
zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/