Proper nouns and caps

felger at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU felger at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Nov 6 16:18:01 EST 1997

I was a staunch advocate of capitalization of proper nouns, too.

Until I got caught up in submitting publications.

We have submitted papers time and time again with caps on proper nouns
only to have them changed somewhere in the editorial process.  Many
journals will not have it any other way, as it is their editorial and
stylistic policy that animal and plant names remain lowercase.
Reviewers of papers in refereed journals have their own bitter and
staunchly defended styles--often at odds on the very same paper.  No
wonder publishers "lay down the law" on the matter.

We have bigger and more important battles to fight  ( I am speaking only
for my company, I do not presume to speak for you).

--(a defeated) MFW