direct digitizing

William A. Harding wah at sedona.net
Fri Oct 3 02:25:41 EDT 1997

If you visit my site "Butterflies of Sedona" you will see examples of
direct scanning of pinned specimens, and also see that it is a very
practical method. All the specimens pictured in the three pages were
scanned with an HP Scanjet IIcx. All the specimens were pinned. The
backgrounds were later touched up with PhotoStyler. The original is
scanned at 300 dpi. For most screen presentations and thumbnails I
resample them at 72 dpi. The larger images were resampled at 100dpi.

For a hard copy of same I use the 300 dpi. Using an Epson Color Stylus
II, the prints come out very close to photo quality.

The URL for my page is:

http://users.sedona.net/~wah

from there you can go to the Moth Page and the other Insects Page.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Bill Harding