direct digitizing

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Fri Oct 3 03:59:41 EDT 1997

William A. Harding wrote:

> If you visit my site "Butterflies of Sedona" you will see examples of
> direct scanning of pinned specimens, and also see that it is a very
> practical method. All the specimens pictured in the three pages were
> scanned with an HP Scanjet IIcx. All the specimens were pinned. The
> backgrounds were later touched up with PhotoStyler. The original is
> scanned at 300 dpi. For most screen presentations and thumbnails I
> resample them at 72 dpi. The larger images were resampled at 100dpi.<cut>

Nice site and images. I enjoyed your "bugs" and you mention (without images)
some metallic beetles. Did you succeed in obtaining good images with these ?

With my digitizing system (video frames with incandescent light) I have
always the same problems with metallic beetle cuticle: the colors are
totally wrong. A green color becomes yellow or red, and the electronic
color balance system is useless.

--
Pierre ZAGATTI
INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/