Dragonflies

Naturenet matt at naturenet.net.nospam
Sat Oct 4 11:35:43 EDT 1997

Steve Preddy <Steve.Preddy at cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone know if there is a newsgroup out there for those of us
>interested in Odonata. If not, how does one go about setting one up?

I assume you mean to set up a uk.* group. I can give you plenty of
advice on how to do so, email me if you want to proceed. I set up this
group (uk.environment.conservation) almost a year ago, and it is not a
simple process, believe me. I would also hazard a guess that you would
be unsuccessful in setting up a group for uk odonata, as there is not
even a uk.entomology yet. But don't let this stop you trying.

For now, I would suggest using this group. It falls within the
charter. If others get fed up with the swarms of dragonfly related
postings, they will canvas for a seperate group, and then would be a
good time to do it. This is the best way to ensure success - get quite
a few people of similar views, and demonstrate a need for the group.
Just having a group will not generate postings, and for now, you might
reach more people using this group or the sci.bio heirarchy.
sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera seems to have a very good uk population
of lepidopterists, for example, and I see no need to create a seperate
uk.* group there.

Matthew Chatfield
Naturenet
http://www.naturenet.net