Eastern/Canadian Tiger Swallowtails

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Mon Oct 6 19:25:00 EDT 1997

>I am interested in opinions in regards to the validity of these insects as
>seperate species. Having lived in the so called "hybrid zone" for many
>years I am confused why all the specimens I have seen are "hybrids".  On
>examining numerous specimens from Southern Ontario I have seen no clear
>Eastern or Canadian Swallowtails they all appear some where in between.

As I recall, Bob Hagen (at the Univ. of Kansas) has worked extensively on
this problem, you might want to contact him for the gruesome details,
unless he's published it all (could be, given how long it's been since I
was there).

Peace,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-448-1223, fax: 031-44-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/