monarchs migration

gardens2 gardens2 at lake-online.com
Mon Oct 6 17:01:23 EDT 1997

serendipity gardens continues observation for second day sightings of
our heaviest southward migration.  we are 87.57 longitude, and 42.18
latitude here in lake county, illinois.
temperatures continue warmer than usual, still high seventies and
eighties F. with high humidity and brisk south/southwesterly winds.
on some occasions i have actually approached from "down-wind" while
the monarchs cling, with great effort, to the tithonia, asters, cosmos,
zinnias, boltonia, and buddleias for nectaring.  reaching the last few
inches from the monarch i slowly raise my hand from beneath and dorsal
often then able to "pin" gently the wings and tag quickly prior to
release.
today i noted several adults from tagging activies (yesterday) were
still in gardens.  one individual i re-netted (jotted tag number for
records) remains and nectars this afternoon.  most tagged yesterday are
moving in south/southwesterly direction which requires low flight and
means flight against strong breezes.
have also noted emergence of several monarchs and after wings dry i am
tagging from serendipity.
***
two weeks ago i observed five brightly-colored fresh adult milbert's
tortoiseshells together as they nectared upon autumn joy sedum.  the
sedum is now beyond its prime however, so no longer attracting milberts.

great weather outside so i'll be closing for now.
sincerely,
diane falk  gardens2 at lake-online.com
serendipity gardens, inc.
http://www.lake-online.com/gardens2.htm