Harvester pop'n problems?

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Tue Oct 7 13:05:21 EDT 1997

I thought folks here might be interested in the anecdote at bottom here
about Feniseca tarquinius - this butterfly was never very common to begin
with, it would indeed be bad news if a "beneficial" insect introduction
severely hurt this species.

>Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:53:57 +0000
>Sender: Entomology Discussion List <ENTOMO-L at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA>
>Comments:     Authenticated sender is <thrips at mailsrv-unix.oit.umass.edu>
>From: mail CRAIG HOLLINGSWORTH <chollingsworth at UMEXT.UMASS.EDU>
>Subject:      Coccinellid Sighing in  Massachusetts
>To: ENTOMO-L at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA
>
>This past Sunday, October 5, we experienced the now annual "return of
>the ladybugs" in Western Massachusetts.  _Harmonia axyridis_,
>the multicolored Asian Lady Beetle has started its flight toward winter
>quarters,
>which includes people's homes.  There is no evidence as yet that the size
>of the
>population is decreasing, but  we are getting fewer calls from the public.
>
>The most significant negative anecdote I heard about H.a. this year
>came from a naturalist friend.  Every year, my friend has visited a
>site where he has found a predaceous Lycaenid (Lepidoptera), feeding
>on aphids.  This year, there were no Lycaenids, but H.a. was found
>feeding on the  aphids.
>

>Craig Hollingsworth
>Extension Educator
>Integrated Pest Management Program
>Agricultural Engineering Building           phone: (413) 545-1055
>University of Massachusettts                fax:   (413) 545-5858
>Amherst MA 01003                               chollingsworth at umext.umass.edu

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-448-1223, fax: 031-441-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/