Eastern/Canadian Tiger Swallowtails

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Tue Oct 7 15:04:18 EDT 1997

Dear listers and Kirk,

> >I am interested in opinions in regards to the validity of these insects as
> >seperate species. Having lived in the so called "hybrid zone" for many
> >years I am confused why all the specimens I have seen are "hybrids".  On
> >examining numerous specimens from Southern Ontario I have seen no clear
> >Eastern or Canadian Swallowtails they all appear some where in between.
>
> As I recall, Bob Hagen (at the Univ. of Kansas) has worked extensively on
> this problem, you might want to contact him for the gruesome details,
> unless he's published it all (could be, given how long it's been since I
> was there).

Bob Hagen has done some work on this problem, but the primary workers
with not only glaucus and canadensis, but the subgenus Pterourus in
general, over the course of numerous years has been Robert Lederhouse
and J. Mark Scriber at Michigan State University.  Try contacting
them.  Hope this helps.

    James