Late UK

Simon Coombes captain at mail.zynet.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 14:47:36 EDT 1997

Hi

>I have looked up the parasite of the UK Holly Blue
>(Celastrina argiolus) in "The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland" by
>Jeremy Thomas and Richard Lewington. { Why this book is no longer in
>print when it is the best book I know on the UK butterflies ? }
>
>The parasite is an Ichneumon Wasp by the name of Listrodomus
>nycthemerus.
>
>One of my friends also saw a fresh Holly Blue on the North Somerset
>coast within the last week.  This is highly unlikely to be a late
>second brood emergence, so it definitely looks like we have three
>broods this year.
>
>Anybody seen third brood Small Coppers (Lycaena Phlaeas) in the UK
>this year ?
Last weekend down on the south coast of Devon there were Small copper
(Lycaena phlaeas) flying along with Wall, (Lasiommata megera) and Holly blue
(Celastrina argiolus). It was a most pleasnat afternoon, which I am afraid
will not last much longer, there was a hint of frost this morning.
Also in the week I saw a Red admiral, Vanessa atalanta, flying in Force 6
wind and intermittent heavy rain, heading south if it has got any sense.

Simon Coombes
3 Valletort Place
Stonehouse
Plymouth
Pl1 3SP
UK
01752 260633
E-mail  Captain at mail.zynet.co.uk
Some European butterfly pictures
http://www.zynet.co.uk/base/captain
Currently c30 images, an account of the butterflies of Tenerife, and a small
section for NW France.