Acharia

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Wed Oct 22 10:47:31 EDT 1997

Dear Listers and Ernst Neering,

Sorry I took so long to reply to Ernst's request about Acharia, which
was:

> Where was the change of name to Acharia [from Sibine] published? Was
it Epstein & Becker
> (1993) Combinations and new synonymies in New World Limacodidae,
> Megalopygidae, Lasiocampidae and Arctiidae. Revista Brasiliera de Zoologia 10
> (2): 289-319?

The article establishing Acharia as the senior synonym to Sibine is:

    Vitor O. Becker and Scott E. Miller.  1988.  The identity of
Sphinx brunnus Cramer and the taxonomic position of Acharia Huebner
(Lepidoptera: Limacodidae).  Journal of Research on the Lepidoptera.
26(1-4): 219-224.

> If it turns out that the moth indeed is a Sibine/Acharia, the caterpillar
> must not have just wandered into the bunch, it was there on its hostplant.

Absolutely.  There are a significant number of limacodid "pest"
species on several tropical "crop" plants.

Hope this is useful information for those who are interested.

    James