"Bugs"

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Fri Oct 24 11:02:28 EDT 1997

Listers,

    I think most entomologists are aware of the fact that *true* bugs
(sensu stricto) are Heteroptera (or Hemiptera, depending on your
classification scheme), but I am also almost certain that all of us
talk or have talked about the "bugs" (sensu lato) that we work on.  I
just wanted to put in my two cents worth about Ernst's comment to
Sarah.  I personally think it is appropriate for a grade-schooler to
use the term bug however she wants to (I know *I* do!).

    James