ID Moths in Hokkaido, Japan?

Stephan Goldstein steveg2 at ma.ultranet.com
Tue Oct 21 04:26:29 EDT 1997

I just returned from 2 weeks in central Hokkaido (Furano area) and am hoping
someone can help me identify three large moths I saw during my visit.

1) Moderate-sized Saturniid, forewing around 50mm base to apex, predominant
   color grayish.  This one was found dead, looking somewhat tattered, at
   around 300m elevation.

2) Moderate-sized Saturniid, same size, predominant color light brown.  This
   fellow was clinging to the underside of a leaf (Betula maximowicziana) in
   the Tokyo University Forest, about 400m elevation.  Somewhat worn.

3) Large Catocala, about the same size as the Saturniids, maybe a little
   smaller, rear wing pattern a single white stripe on a black field.
   Somewhat worn.  Came to light at around 300m elevation.  Somewhat worn.

I know this info is rather sketchy, sorry.  I'd be most grateful for any
ideas.  I'd love to receive JPEGs of any likely candidates, BUT NOT AT THIS
EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!  Please mail me for a different address with quicker
download time.

Is it common for the flight period of these large guys to run this late in the
year?  I saw the Catocala around 15 October, the brown Saturniid on the 8th.
The gray Saturniid was already dead around the 4th.

*** SPAM REDUCTION NOTICE ***  To reply by email, remove the numeral "2" from
the return address.

Thanks.

Steve