Luna Moth

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Oct 28 06:42:09 EST 1997

Tightman wrote:

> My daughter Megan is in second grade at Cornwall Terrace Elementary School
> in Sinking Spring, PA (one hour from Philadelphia).  She is studying
> insects during this quarter and she chose the Luna Moth to research.  I
> have found very little data on the Luna Moth on the internet (mostly
> pictures).
>
> What purpose does the Luna Moth serve?  What, if any, benefits does it
> offer the ecology?  Is there a site on the Web that I can gather data like
> this?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you for your time.  My name is Tony
> and my email address is:                      tightman at talon.net

The Luna moth makes us happy by its presence on the planet. It's a
lovely thing. Also, at this time of year, batting on the window pane, it
reminds us that we ought to tell our children about Banshees, for why
should they sleep without nightmares.
It is eaten by owls and squirrels and whatever else can find its nice
fat larva or pupa. And bats.
Every living creature is part of the pattern; it's hard to say whose
life is changed by the luna caterpillar pruning its little branch; ants
gather its droppings and beetles feed on them and so forth. Life is
incredibly complex, and if you lift out each thread to study it,
presently you lose the fabric.
Earlier, on this list, butterfliers expressed love and nostalgia for the
luna moths that never graced their childhood. I remember seeing one once
in our Virginia garden; a glorious sight.
Anne Kilmer
South Florida