Mr T. - collecting

Dave Chesmore E.D.Chesmore at e-eng.hull.ac.uk
Wed Sep 3 04:05:27 EDT 1997

In the UK, I often feel as though I have to hide my net.  This stems
from the time (9 years ago) when I was attacked by a gamekeeper and
his son on a public road.  They thought I had been poaching fish in a
pond nearly 1.5 miles away - a long net indeed!

I hear stories about people in the UK also hiding their nets because of
anti-collectors.  Most people just don't understand statistics and that
1-23 specimens are not going to have any effect on population at all
(in most cases).  This appears to be true when butterflies are
concerned.

I have become quite adept at catching moths with my hands!  I am not
so bothered nowadays partly because my son has developed an
interest and uses a net.

This is a real problem.

Dr David Chesmore, FRES
Environmental Electronics Research Group
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664
Email:  E.D.Chesmore at E-Eng.Hull.AC.UK
Web page: http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/eepmds/home.htm