More on Mr. T (bflying in parks)

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 04:04:59 EDT 1997

In message <v01530501b0327137a229@[207.158.13.60]> conlan at ADNC.COM writes:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>
> >I would
> >point out that the greater capacity for reproduction of invertebrate
> >populations is largely a red herring in this arguement.
>
> I could not disagree with this more!  Ken Phillip already commented nicely
> on this but let me just add a couple things.  The incredible reproductive
> capacity of most invertebrates lies near the core of this argument.  It is
> this capacity which allows rapid repopulation of areas and the large
> population flux we often see in others.  Extreme predation/parasitization
> in one year can often be more than compensated for in the following year.
> I have seen populations go from virtually unseen to almost nuisance levels
> in a single year.  Does anyone honestly think most birds or mammals could
> do this (maybe some rodents)?  When was the last time a Condor, Eagle or
> Moose gave birth to 200 offspring in a season!!  If you could get 200 eggs
> out of a California Condor they could have repopulated the Western USA in
> about two years!  Invertebrates utilize a much different strategy for
> survival and often don't fit into the same old arguments people use for
> birds and mammals.
>
> Chris Conlan
> conlan at adnc.com

I made this posting some time ago in February 1996 if I recall correctly
and I have reposted it several times because the same point seems to be
being made continuously. It better answers points which were made at the
time it was originally posted but much of it is valid in answer to the
general point being made  by several people which seems to be
that collecting can never do any harm.