Collection Debate

Bob Greback bgreback at state.de.us
Wed Sep 3 16:20:53 EDT 1997

You guys in the U.K. must realize that the dynamics you are used to - such as
living on an island in which habitat and the ability of a species to migrate
is severely limited in a lot of the cases mentioned.  It seems a lot of the
logic for some of the discussions comes with this baggage attached.  Although
we might have a few similar situations of localized endangered species
hampered by small geographic boundaries precipitated usually by availability
of a food plant and not space, the VAST majority of butterfly species in the
U.S. are NOT hampered by such problems.  Collecting these does not place any
population pressure on the species.

The distinction between our countries in this manner cannot be understated and
needs to be addressed.

I collect, I love it, but as a law abiding citizen and conscientious collector
I never do anything illegal, which in my humble opinion is the of the utmost
importance.

Bob